La nuova alba

Montag, Dienstag, Mittwoch ... ich möchte dich jeden Tag sehen!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Was reading back on past blog entries from last November. Haha... the frog incidents and all... it was one of the best times of my life.

Anyway, I know spring is a long way off, but I can probably start registering for spring classes in early fall, so I thought I'll make a decision first. That is, between German and Japanese. The plan from the start was of course, German. To my dismay, all classes were closed by the time I had to register. So I ended up taking Italian, which I have to say, I am immensely pleased with. So, I shall of course continue to take Italian classes in fall and so on.

After taking a conversational German class once, I seemed to be afraid of taking German classes for two reasons. 1) 98% of the class have learnt German in high school. 2) I could not read the professor's handwriting. 3) I have no idea what the professor was talking about, ie: I was totally lost.

After that incident, and seeing my housemate learn Japanese, I thought of taking Jap classes. and since mid spring, that has been the plan. I even registered for Japanese classes for the summer, but dropped it due to the heavy schedule. My fall schedule is also full, so I shall be taking my second foreign language next spring. So, I thought, ok next spring, I'm going to take Japanese classes. But, these few days, German keeps popping back into my mind. I've been talking to someone who's taking German classes, I've talked to a German, and my mind says: "Ok, why are you abandoning your plans to learn German?"

So, let me now list down the advantages learning
German:
-I've been wanting to learn it since I was 14.
-I feel a strong sense of envy when I hear people speaking German, see German words, watch German movies, see German products (esp a VW) etc.
-I think German sounds very beautiful. Other people disagrees, they say French sounds the best ya-da ya-da.... To me, German sounds absolutely wonderful. Ja? and yes, i love the way German say Ja, Ja.. haha
-My dad would probably tell me to learn German because he is using German machinery in his factory and if he needs a deal in a future, I'm sure he wants his kid to speak German.
-It's likely that I visit Germany (more than Japan) because I like Germany better and I obviously DESIRE a Europe trip because it must and should include Scotland.
-German is spoken by a lot of people and it's good for business thanks to German companies.

Japanese:
-90% of the songs in my Ipod are in Japanese language.
-I am watching a whole lot of Japanese animes these days and good games are made in Japan. Plus Yuna and Alphonse Elric are part of the wonderful Japanese creation.
-Japanese might be easier to learn than German since pronounciation is not much of a problem and the Kanji is pretty similar to Chinese.
-Learning Japanese resources are plentiful!! Like the ratio of 50:5 compared to German learning resources. which means I can ace in class by doing extra work out of class, while it's harder to do so for German. But on the other hand, it also means it's actually possible for me to learn Japanese on my own while it's too hard to do the same for German.
-I could finally understand all the gibberish PP and Kurefu always talk about on MSN.
-Japanese is spoken by people all over the world since the anime world is expanding and most Italians I've met are learning/already know Japanese.

I don't know. I like both. I think both are useful. But I guess if I ever go back to Germany without knowing any German, I think I'll get high blood pressure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home